I sat down at the computer this morning and was trying to decide which blog I'd do today and then I was just thinking about food , why I love it , why it's so good for the soul etc...and I thought about writing a different kind of recipe today...one which will hopefully nourish your mind....so here goes....
We are all hyper aware of the current negativity which seems to be permeating all forms of media, dinner table discussions and general chit chat on the street. Personally I find it all rather over whelming at times. I'm often torn between wanting to listen to the news to keep myself 'educated' and 'aware' and then not wanting to depress myself by listening! Sometimes I don't listen for weeks ....and I seem to feel better. There is a general feeling of all of this being completely out of our control and that can be very frightening indeed. I just recently finished a book about the laws of attraction and it made me realise that all of this negative thinking, this 'national scale' negative thinking is really bad for us. We have to remember that we have the power over our own thoughts, so what can you do for yourself on a day to day basis? Try using some of the ingredients from the recipe below and see what happens.....
- Instead of listening to the news or god forbid watching sky news first thing in the morning, put on some music that you really really love...you could even create a 'good day playlist'....smiles guaranteed at the push of a button! Stevie Wonder -the odds were against him and look what he did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDbyOLzEyfk
- Make sure you aren't rushing in the morning, there's nothing worse than a dose of stress hormones to set you up for a bad day. Are 10 more minutes in bed really worth a bad day?
- Eat something healthy & tasty for breakfast, for example scrambled eggs on white sourdough bread and a nice cuppa tea or a bowl of granola with berries and yoghurt
- Be nice to your housemates/ family members -smile at them, look them in the eye and tell them you love them (where appropriate!)
- Remember that time is your most precious gift -why not use 5 mins to make a list of all the things in your life you're thankful for (you might surprise yourself!)
- If you're not happy walking out the door to your job in the morning think about what you might like to do and take some steps towards investigating the possibility of changing. Remember 'if nothing changes-nothing changes'
- Avoid negative people, energy vampires, dream killers ...life is just too short.
- Make a list of daily goals
- Be inspired -watch talks on ted.com. Listen to J.R. speak on ted.com
- Make an 'I want' list but also make an 'I don't want' list.
- Only worry about the things you can do something about ...and then do something about them.
- Anger can be toxic -there are other ways to react to situations. Realise the effect your anger has on yourself and the people around you.
- Don't be ruled by your ego, your ego is not your friend -see the next point.
- Go out today and buy a copy of 'A New Earth' by Eckhart Tolle -it will change your life for the better.
- Reward yourself -sometimes you just need to ask yourself 'What is the most loving thing I can do for myself right now?' and if that means coffee and a croissant -do it!
- Smile at people you don't know (not in a psycho way) and never miss an opportunity to do a good deed.
- Realise that everyone comes into your life for a reason.
- Realise you can't be happy every minute of everyday and be okay with that.