There was a cake on the show and in the book that caught my eye and excited my taste buds, a cherry custard cake Calfouti aux Cerises -I had to make it. And after all this was a celebration and also a thank you to my family for looking after me. It's such an easy cake to make -you don't need a food processor as it's more custard than sponge, actually zero sponge. In France it is usually made when the cherries are in season and called a clafouti when made with other fruit it's called a flognard. I had to root in the freezer and in the depths I found the remains of a glut of currants; red, black and white. Usually you wouldn't use frozen berries in a recipe but needs must, so I defrosted them gently in a very low oven, over some kitchen paper -to reduce the wetness. And when the cake came out of the oven I couldn't stop smiling -that's part of the joy of cooking for me, it can make you and others feel so goddamn happy!
|Get a spoon|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmoa2dVOSU The very sexy & French -Carla Bruni !
- Preheat oven to 180'C, grease a flan dish size 23-25 cm
- Combine 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup double cream, 3 tbsp good vanilla extract, 3 eggs, 1/4 cup caster sugar(extra if using tart berries), 1/4 tsp salt, 2/3 cup all purpose/plain flour sieved -make sure you have no lumps.
- Pour in about 1 cm of the custard into the dish and put in oven for 2 minutes
- Put in your fruit -berries, plums or cherries (stoned), pour over the rest of the custard
- Cook in the oven for 30mins or until it has risen, browned and you can get a clean knife out of it
- Dust with castor sugar, allow to cool a little -serve warm or cold.
- Return for seconds.....!
|Ready for the oven|