If I had a friend in relationship turmoil, male or female...I would bake this beautiful cake, guaranteed to soothe and console. Alternatively, this is a super cake for celebrations of any kind...and other reasons for my being so in love with this cake are that you don't need a food processor ....and it's creator is Nigel Slater, whose culinary mind I utterly adore.
Gorgeous Goooey Chocolate Almond Cake
- lightly grease & line a shallow 23-24 cm cake tin
- melt 220g 70% dark chocolate in a bowl, resting over a simmering saucepan of water
- when melted add a shot of strong coffee
- put 200g chopped butter into the melted chocolate
- turn the oven on to 180'C /Gas 4
- sift 80g flour, 2 level tbsp cocoa, & 1 tsp baking powder in a bowl
- remove chocolate butteryness from the heat
- separate5 eggs
- whisk the whites until they form stiff peaks
- gently fold 200g golden caster sugar into the fluffy whites with a metal spoon
- whisk the yolks, add quickly to the melted chocolate mixture
- fold chocolate mixture into the egg whites
- fold the cocoa flour mixture followed by 125g ground almonds
- transfer to cake tin -try your best to keep air in the mixture
- bake for 25 min -skewer should emerge clean
Allow to cool for 10 mins....enjoy with copious amounts of tea or a pot of coffee.
Pure Imagination from the original Willy Wonka film.